Saturday, January 15, 2011

I am a total tourist

Victor Emmanuel II Building
So I have signed up for every tour they have offered so far.  With my camera around my neck, backpack in tow, and headset in my ear listening to our guided tour, I couldn't look any more like a tourist.  I am in love with this city and want to see everything and learn everything.  We started in front of "the wedding cake building"which is the center of Rome, the national monument of Victor Emmanuel II (the first king of unified Rome), and only a thirty minute bus ride from our apartment.  It is a huge, gorgeous white building and absolutely indescribable.  The gates were closed today because it is the weekend, so we plan on going back to walk up the stairs and get close enough to practically ride the winged horses at the top.  This tour took us through downtown Rome and we saw the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain (still need to make my first wish though), Spanish Steps, the Parliament building, Piazza Navona, and the inside of the Pantheon.  The best gelato in all of Italy is by the Pantheon and I don't think my mouth has ever watered as much as it did  after I took my first bite of Chocolate Ricotta - sounds weird, but crazy good.  I need to go back as soon as possible because there is the cutest Gelateria in which you just pay for the cone and they give you as many scoops as physically possible and real whipped cream.  This is where the Italians get their gelato.  Despite how much I am eating, I think I have actually lost weight with all of the walking I do (thank goodness).  The tour also took us through the shopping district and I almost died!!  The middle priced stores are down one street, Corso, and then Rome's "Rodeo Drive" is just around the corner.  Dior, Missoni, Valentino, Gucci, etc = my new religion.  I have yet to actually go shopping which has been absolute torture but I have four months here so I should probably pace myself, until tomorrow that is.  We were so tired after our two and a half hour long tour and made it back to our apartment to make our first family dinner.  Luckily one of my roommates is an amazing cook and put together salad and pasta and not just any salad and pasta, but overeat it and put me in a food coma salad and pasta.  It was a fun-filled and glorious day in Rome!  

1 comment:

  1. Well done girl!! I hope you are this kind of tired every single day you are there! How wonderful...pasta pasta pasta!!
    Love you!
    Aunt Gisele

    ReplyDelete