Friday, January 14, 2011

Second full day in Rome



Yesterday was my second full day in Rome. After a little less than four hours of sleep my roommates and I had to get up for our John Cabot University orientation. It was an hour long public transit commute, but worth it after we drove by the Colosseum!!! Seeing the Colosseum for the first time made this whole thing feel real. We drove over the Tiber River into Trestevere where the campus is located...absolutely gorgeous area. I couldn't stop taking photos of the cool alley ways with vines or flower boxes and shutters. I was so giddy I was practically skipping on the cobble stone. People in my program already make fun of me for the fact that my voice goes up three octaves and my eyes double in size when I get really excited about the little, but beautiful things around us. Through orientation we heard a presentation from Rick Steve's son, Andy who then invited us on a tour of some of his favorite parts of the city. That night about fifteen of us got to see the Pantheon, walk through the Camp de' Fiori, see fountains that I forget the names of and ancient egyptian obelisques. We then went into this cool restaurant right next to the Pantheon and had the most fun eating Bruschetta (dad, be proud, I actually loved the tomatoes), two types of pasta - one that I couldn't even come close to pronouncing, even after Andy tried to teach me for ten minutes, rich chocolate cake, and unlimited wine. It was a total blast getting to know everyone better and pick Andy's brain. After leaving completely stuffed we headed back to the apartment and got lost for the very first time. We had been doing so well and probably jinxed ourselves, but luckily it didn't take too long to find ourselves and we made it safely home.

2 comments:

  1. OMG - First I have to say "Ciao!" Second, LOVE the backdrop you've chosen for this blog. :) Now back to the OMG - what an adventure! How wonderful that you get to "steep" in such a fabulous city in such a fabulous country! I've been reading "Eat, Pray, Love" off and on for months and months and I'm still in Rome - I think it's because it's so delicious on so many levels that I just don't want to leave!
    Grazie - we armchair travelers thank you for sharing a bit of your adventure with us - hopefully you can get some class credit for writing this blog!
    Enjoy! Goda di!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tierney, so glad you are doing this blog. Love it. Feel like I am there! I look forward to hearing about all of your adventures. I agree with Danielle, love the backdrop.

    Peace, Love and Hugs,
    Aunt Jolanne

    ReplyDelete