Monday, March 7, 2011

Gaudi...you crazy!!

My dad said there was a theme to my blog...food.  It wasn't until I sat here preparing to start another post and began writing about the amazing croissants in Barcelona that I realized he was right, but I don't really care.  I love Europe and I love the food in Europe.  So back to the croissants - I, a chocolate croissant lover, nearly died upon stumbling into this cute little bakery near our hostel.  The chocolate croissant was still warm and was not only chocolate filled but was also half dipped in hardened chocolate.  The croissants in Italy all have a lemon glaze on them, which kind of ruins the whole experience for me, so finding these perfect croissants was a jackpot moment and a perfect way to start my morning before exploring Barcelona and the crazy work of Gaudi.






 
















Park Guel
is a famous tourist attraction in Barcelona; however, there needs to be a whole new word invented for what this place is, because park doesn't even begin to describe this crazy, beautiful, magical site.  The almost four hours that we spent there was the perfect amount of time to explore every inch of it, which we did.  We went from one end of the park to the other, climbed the two highest peaks looking down on all of Barcelona, took a million photos, and soaked up the sun.  Either Gaudi was actually crazy or some kind of sick genius.  The architecture, mosaics, plant life, and layout seemed like they were designed by ten different people and were all beautiful in their own unique way.  There were manmade rock formations that looked like stalactites and stalagmites, buildings covered in mosaics that looked like gingerbread houses, sunbursts of mosaics, anything you can think of covered in mosaics, and the most gorgeous gardens.  I was in awe everywhere we turned.  Leisurely exploring this dreamworld was an experience I will never forget.  


The Sagrada Familia is an enormous church that started construction in the early 1880s and will not be completed until 2026.  Gaudi designed this ridiculous, jaw-dropping building and his work has been carried out ever since his death in 1926.  We exited from the underground metro to a view of one side of the basilica.  It took my eyes forever to focus what I was seeing in front of me.  It almost looks like a dark blob upon first look, but you have take the time too look at all of the individual designs to process the scene, otherwise it is too overwhelming.  We made our way around the entire building and much like Park Guel, it looked like it was designed by multiple people.  The other side of the church is dramatically different from the back.  It was lighter in color and I could make out the figures with much more ease.


The Sagrada Familia is a very different kind of beautiful, but it is undeniable that it is one of the most beautiful things in the world.  We just kind of laughed as we took it all in because it is just so CRAZY.  We joked that he just threw in the weirdest things imaginable to mess with people.  "You think you have me figured out...just wait...I'm going to put a bunch of fruit on top" - we imagined this is what Gaudi would say today.  I can't wait to see what it will look like when it is finally completed and even then I probably be even more confused than I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment